Reasons I send my child to Star of the Sea School:
Woolridge Family, Virginia Beach
- The sense of community. It takes a village to raise a child and Star of the Sea provides that. There is so much support from teachers, staff and other parents. As a family of two working parents, it is a great fit for us because often times we need help or support in our busy life.
- Star of the Sea provides a moral compass. It is always nice to have religion at the core of your learning and to have a reminder about God and being kind before you start the day, before recess, before you play sports, etc...
- The low teacher to child ratio. It is nice to have smaller classes, more personalized learning and one on one conversations with the teacher. They really know your child, their strengths, their struggles and how to motivate them to learn.
- It is fun. My child loves going to Star of the Sea because the teachers make learning fun. Between brain breaks, music, art, Spanish, fun Friday's, core genius hour, learning games, PE, etc... Every day he comes home with a story of something "fun" they did today at school.
- No SOL's. The teachers don't have to worry about teaching to the test as they do in public schools. They can slow down if the kids are struggling or speed up if they aren't. They can go at their own pace which ensures learning is actually achieved.
- Location, location, location. Since we are located at the oceanfront, the kids get to do some really awesome things that no other school gets to do. Between running on the boardwalk for our mile run, walking to our sidewalk to watch the Veteran's Day parade and driving under a mile to save oysters, location makes the school's even more awesome.